Telepathy (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Telepath 6
Manifesting Time: 1 round
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: One humanoid
Duration: Special, see text.
Saving Throw: Will negates
Power Resistance: Yes
Power Points: 11
This power functions as psionic dominate except as described here.
Once manifested, the power lies dormant in the subject’s mind until a predetermined trigger event takes place. The trigger can be anything the subject would be capable of discerning; the passage of a certain amount of time,
arrival at a particular place, seeing a particular person, hearing a particular word spoken, and so on. Protection from
chaos/evil/good/law (as appropriate), suppress compulsion HC and similar effects will prevent a programmed domination from becoming active when the trigger condition is met, but will not remove the condition. It is possible for the subject to go its whole life without the trigger condition being met.
Once this effect becomes active, the subject follows whatever instructions you issued when the power was manifest for 1 minute per manifester level. Unlike psionic dominate, this power does not provide a telepathic
link, so all instructions must be set in advance, and you will not know if your subject’s programmed domination has
become active unless you use other means to do so.
Programmed domination may be dispelled or removed by effects that counter compulsions once it has become active, but not while latent. A latent programmed domination may be detected with mind probe, aura sight or similar effects, but only if the manifester is speciﬁcally looking for it. A latent programmed domination may be removed only with psychic chirurgery, reality revision, greater restoration, or wish, although aura alteration allows a new Will save to negate the power.
The subject of this power may know that a mental power was used, but will not know the trigger condition, what action he has been programmed to take, or even that he carries a latent compulsion.
Augment: You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
1. If you spend an additional 2 power points, this power can also affect an animal, fey, giant, magical beast, or monstrous humanoid.
2. If you spend an additional 4 power points, this power can affect an aberration, dragon, elemental, or outsider in addition to the creature types listed above.
3. If you spend 1 additional power point, the duration of this power, once active, is 1 hour. If you spend an additional 2 power points the active duration is 24 hours. If you spend an additional 4 power points the active
duration is 1 day per manifester level.
4. If you spend an additional 2 power points, the subject does not remember the actions it took while actively
dominated. It may not even be aware time has passed without a cue.
5. If you spend an additional 2 power points, the duration of the active phase of the power does not have to be
continuous. The power may then be activated multiple times (on different occurrences of the trigger condition)
and will run for a set portion of its duration, or until a predetermined anti-trigger event takes place. This
augmentation is sometimes called the “sleeper” augmentation.
In addition, for every 2 power points spent to achieve any of these effects, increase the save DC by 1.
If you are using Hyperconscious: Explorations in Psionics by Bruce R. Cordell, programmed domination also gains the ‘utter thrall’ augment for psionic dominate presented in that book.