Size/Type: Medium Outsider (Native, Psionic)
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (+3 studded leather, +1 light shield, +1 Dex.), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +1 / +0
Attack: Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+1/x3) or longbow +2 ranged (1d8/x3)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +3 melee (1d8+1/x3) or longbow +2 ranged (1d8/x3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mode check +0, resting mode Fortitude Intuition +4
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., dreamless, dreamphase, dreamscape, human blood, know your fears, naturally psionic
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 13
Skills: Bluff +6, Jump +3, Intimidate +7, Swim +3
Feats: Weapon Focus (battleaxe)
Organization: Congregate (2–4), squad (11–20 plus 2 3rd level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or band (30–100 plus 150% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th level lieutenants, and 3 7th level captains)
Challenge Rating: 1
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1
This humanoid has extremely pale (almost transparent) skin and almost absurdly large, dark eyes. Its hair appears bleached and ragged, as if struck by mange.
While gestating, human children spend much of their time dreaming as their mind develops. This leaves them vulnerable and easy prey for the Nameless Fear. Many children who encounter the Nameless Fear during this vulnerable time are killed outright, resulting in an inexplicably stillborn child and much sorrow on the part of the parents. A rare few, however, awaken with psionic potential from the encounter, and through a combination of tremendous luck and strength of will, actually overcome their larval nameless attacker. They do not, however, survive this encounter unscathed. A fragment of the nameless’ nightmare essence embeds itself in the infant’s psyche, which forever taints their minds and bodies.
The infants will grow up with pale skin that never tans and eyes that are sensitive to light, and patchy hair that appears bleached and spotty (although some adopt unusual hairstyles to mask this). Apart from these minor changes, they remain essentially physically identical to humans – although they bear the mark of the nameless on their souls forever. Anyone who looks into the eyes of a dreamscarred – which is considered a deeply personal, almost intimate act – will find no reflection of any sort. The most telling sign of this taint is evident when the dreamscarred is in all but total darkness (such as starlight), where indistinct ephemeral faces – thousands of them, all screaming in terror – appear to dance over his flesh. A conscious dreamscarred may suppress these faces if he wishes.
Adaptation: Aasimars and tieflings are touched by the planes in their blood, inheriting a connection to the celestial or fiendish planes. Dreamscarred are similar, with a connection to the region of dreams. By simply changing a few names, however, they could easily serve as planetouched of the ethereal or astral planes.
Dreamscarred prefer to use their enhanced powers of persuasion to avoid combat. If a fight is inevitable, they are absolutely fearless combatants and typically attempt to demoralize their enemies to make them easier to overcome. For more information on the dreamscarred’s special abilities, see below. The dreamscarred warrior presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 11.
Dreamscarred As Characters
The dreamscarred possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom.
- Medium size.
- Outsider (Native): Dreamscarred are outsiders native to the Material plane.
- A dreamscarred’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Dreamless: when asleep, a dreamscarred grapples with the nameless fear that has taken up residence in his mind. Dreamscarred do not dream like humans, cannot visit the region of dreams without supernatural assistance, and are immune to effects which depend on the subject’s ability to dream.
- A dreamscarred has darkvision out to 60 ft.
- Naturally Psionic: Dreamscarred gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Human Blood: For all effects related to race, a dreamscarred is treated as a human. (Dreamscarred, however, are outsiders, and remain immune to spells and effects that only affect humanoids.)
- Know Your Fears (Ex): The dreamscarred have an intuitive understanding of fear unmatched by any other humanoid race. They are immune to fear effects and cannot be demoralized through Intimidate.
- Dreamphase (Su): A dreamscarred may subjugate the power of his nameless aspect and temporarily shift partially to a dreamlike existence, gaining the dreambornHC subtype (a 20% miss chance). Dreamscarred with levels in wilder have no chance of psychic enervation while dreamphased. A dreamscarred may spend no more than two rounds (plus one additional round per character level) per day under the effects of dreamphase, but the duration need not be continuous. Activating or deactivating this ability is a free action and may be done once per round. While dreamphased, a dreamscarred displays the nightmarish faces he normally shows in all but total darkness, and cannot suppress them while dreamphased.
- Dreamscape (Su): A dreamscarred perceives a mindscape with unnatural clarity. He gains a +2 racial bonus on all mode checks, and while psionically focused he may send messages to nearby psionic creatures through the mindscape by manipulating the appearance of his personal avatar. Such messages are not bound by language limits (that is, it may be understood by any creature that has a language), but non-dreamscarred find it difficult to properly interpret. Any non-dreamscarred perceiving the mindscape message must make an Intelligence check (DC12) to correctly understand a dreamscarred’s message (failure indicates that the message was perceived as unintelligible gibberish).1
- +2 racial bonus on Bluff and Intimidate checks: the dreamscarred know how to manipulate the dreams and fears of others.
- -2 racial penalty on Fortitude saves: the stuff of dreams renders the dreamscarred more easily affected by the ravages of the real.
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Any, except secret languages (such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Wilder.
- Level Adjustment: +1